Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Interviews with Recent Graduates

For anyone with graduation on your mind, whether it be this Spring or in the near future, you can probably agree that the closer it gets, the more pressure you start to feel. A lot of people choose to pursue certain degrees in college with a specific career in mind, or at least have the thoughts of an ideal job field. Why wouldn’t you? It’s all part of the process. But along the way we learn that it’s not realistic to think you’re going to land a great job right away—especially if you’re majoring in something like English. What if the ideal career stems from a job you took just because it’s available or because you are qualified? Sometimes that’s where you have to start. And for recent grads, the thought of starting somewhere, anywhere, is both terrifying and exciting.

We thought it would be a good idea to interview 2013 grads to get their thoughts on the subject—as they have been in our shoes recently and are just enough ahead that they have tested the waters outside of Eastern Oregon University.

Interviewee: Nichole Jones

1. Can you tell us where you work and the details of your job? How does this compare to the job you saw yourself doing? Or how does it help prepare you for that job?

Currently, I am working for Columbia United Providers in the Claims department. In addition to my normal duties, I am also in the process of re-writing  the claim departments procedures and policies. I find the it satisfying to be able to pay my bills and still utilize my writing degree. It is not the job that I pictured myself doing, but it will do for now.

2. How was your degree useful? Are there any direct correlations that have helped you such as classes, campus jobs, etc?

All of my experiences in college have been useful in my current position. The company values my attention to detail which I attained through my careful studying for my degree and in working for The Voice as an editor. I am also better able to interact with fellow employees as well as management, on a professional level, because of the relationships I built at EOU.

3. How did you move beyond the "panic" or "treading water" stage after graduation?

I'm not sure that I have actually moved beyond that stage. Yes, I have a job with benefits and can pay my bills, but I am still looking for the job that I really want. Who knows, it may even be within my current company!

4. What habits did you develop in college that helped you to be successful in the workforce?

As I stated before, attention to detail, social and professional interaction, and a good work ethic were all developed in college.  

5. Is there anything you wish you would have done during your undergraduate studies that would help you now?

I wish that I had gathered more references toward the end of my college education and perhaps branched out into more organizations. When you enter the workforce, it is all about networking!


Interviewee: Kilee Jochim

1. Can you tell us where you work and the details of your job? How does this compare to the job you saw yourself doing? Or how does it help prepare you for that job?

I have had my fair share of jobs since I graduated; however, the first one that I will take claims to is my most recent job. I am currently a Personal Assistant to an Investment's Manager at Metlife. I originally never saw myself in this particular line of work, but I also didn't realize how tough it can be to find the first "big kid" job when I didn't have the experience. I guess I didn't really know what I wanted to do; I just knew what I didn't want to do. In this position, I meet with cliental, schedule appointments, push paperwork, etc. This position will help me with future positions because of my boss's track record. She is very well known in not only this area, but several other places as well. As long as I continue to work hard for her, she will work hard for me. This job offers me enough of diversity that I never get bored, which as many of you know can happen very easily. 

2. How was your degree useful? Are there any direct correlations that have helped you such as classes, campus jobs, etc?

My degree helped me get this position because of the writing and communication skills that I gained throughout the process of earning it. I can read most handwriting; I'm a fast typer and reader, which comes in handy whenever I have a lot to get done in a short period of time. I also found that being a tutor has helped me with this job because I now have some of the experience needed when it comes to reading similar material over and over. I can't say that any one particular class helped prepare me for this job, but I can say that each my professors helped in their own unique way. Each professor at EOU has a different personality and being able to communicate and get along with each of them is, in a way, challenging all on its own. 

3. How did you move beyond the "panic" or "treading water" stage after graduation?

I never really hit the "panic" or "treading water" mode. I had made some wise investments and actually got to enjoy a good month of summer before I moved to Kansas to find the "big kid" job. I did interview at a few places in Denver area, but nothing that I was interested in. The best advice I can give to an upcoming grad regarding this stage is to start applying for jobs before you graduate. Also, try to figure out where you want to go. Once you figure that out, something is bound to turn up. The ideal job may not come at first, but it will with time. Figuring out what an area has to offer is a big step in making that a smooth transition. 

4. What habits did you develop in college that helped you to be successful in the workforce? 

I do have the ability to work hard and consistently. My last two years in college, I especially had to use my time wisely because I would have struggled immensely. I am the type of person who, somewhat, has to be on a schedule. My life needs to have order, or I will forget what I need to do. When I get into the routine of something, it usually sticks pretty well, which has really helped me with my current position at Metlife. I don't necessarily do the same things everyday, but I have set hours in which everything has to get done. Setting short term goals has also been an asset that I learned in college. I try to set reachable goals, with a large goal in sight. For example, I eventually want to end up in Europe, preferably Italy, working for a company. What the company is, I don't know yet. My Metlife position is just the first step of reaching that goal. 

5. Is there anything you wish you would have done during your undergraduate studies that would help you now?


I wish I would have taken school more seriously in the beginning. When I first started in Wyoming, I was on a rodeo scholarship and in a way, that took precedence over my studies. I now regret that it wasn't the other way around. When I transferred to EOU, I definitely had to play catch up because of how big of a slacker I was. I had poor study habits and always just got by. Also, adjusting from semesters to terms was a bit of a rude awakening. I didn't realize how much work had to be done in such a short period of time. I would say that the shorter terms helped me the most because I had to be efficient with my time because there was very little room for error. I am just thankful that I gained some of those skills before I graduated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment